Monday, May 20th, 2013
abertis' origins are to be found in the construction, management and operation of Spain's first tollroads.
In 2000, acesa and aumar embarked upon an expansion programme, developing their presence in new markets. The holding companies of these two great groups, Acesa Infraestructuras and Aurea Concesiones de Infraestructuras, merged following the acquisition of iberpistas by acesa. This gave rise to the birth of abertis in 2003.
Since 2003, abertis has followed a growth and profitability-based strategy which has placed the company at the forefront of infrastructure project management. This is demonstrated by:
· The acquisition of the British company tbi in 2005 which marked the beginning of the commitment to the airport business.
· The concessionaire sanef joining the group in 2006.
· The purchase in 2007 of Desarrollo de Concesiones Aeroportuarias (dca), the airport holding company which has a stake in different companies that manage 15 airports in Latin America.
· The acquisition among 2008 and 2012 of 40.6% of Hispasat maked abertis the major shareholder in the Spanish satellite operator.
· Since 2009, after concluding operations with ACS and Citi, abertis controls avasa in Spain, while in Chile it controls the concessionaires elqui and gesa, as well as a majority holding and control of rutas del pacífico.
· In 2011, the concession award of PR-22 and PR-5 tollroads in Puerto Rico to the metropistas, a consortium leaded by abertis.
· In 2012, the world leadership in the toll road sector following the integration of the arteris Group's tollroads, as well of three extra concessions in Chile, acquired to the OHL group.