For abertis, Corporate Social Responsibility is a way of understanding the company’s role in society, taking in the environmental, social and economic impact of its activities and its relations with the different stakeholders. Incorporating this triple balance also allows the group to adopt a system for constant improvement as the basis for its business strategy.
CSR is a transversal factor which affects all areas and business units, from decision-making to ways of working, to form part of the organisational culture. The abertis Strategic Social Responsibility Plan represents a road map for implementation of CSR in the group and is structured on the basis of eight broad lines:
- Minimising environmental impact
- Guaranteeing transparency for the investment community
- Assuring the motivation and involvement of our human resources in constant improvement in the company
- Maintaining a close relationship with customers and assuring their satisfaction
- Extending the CSR commitment to suppliers and subcontractors
- Getting involved in the community and in the social fabric
- Establishing systematic channels for dialogue
- Guaranteeing supervision and monitoring of the implementation of the Strategic CSR Plan
The commitments made by abertis to the different stakeholder groups are set down in various documents, in particular the Social Responsibility Policy and the Code of Ethics.
The progress of the Strategic CSR Plan is monitored through a global database fed by contributions from all business units. The Social Responsibility Committee, made up of the CSR coordinators in each company in the group, is formally responsible for managing the social responsibility strategy.
The abertis CSR Report presents an annual balance sheet for the group’s economic, social and environmental impacts. This report is drawn up on the basis of the international standard developed by the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) and externally verified by independent experts. The level of application of the abertis CSR reports is the highest, A+.
The organisation’s statement of accounts and other corporate documents can be found elsewhere on the website. It is complemented by participation in different initiatives such as the United Nations Global Compact, the Carbon Disclosure Project and the Dow Jones Sustainability Index, among others.
Partnerships and Recognition
- Gold Class Sustainable Asset Management (SAM) award for 2010 as a leader in sustainability in the industrial transport sector (2010).
- Award by the Associació Multisectorial d’Empreses (AMEC) to abertis for its international achievements (2009)
- The “Llotja” prize for the best information provided by trading companies for shareholders and the market, awarded by the Barcelona Chamber of Commerce (2009).
- Silver Class Sustainable Asset Management (SAM) award for 2008-09 as a leader in sustainability in the industrial transport sector (2008).
- Award for financial excellence presented by the institute of financial studies (prize for open corporate financial information in the quoted firms category) (2008).
- Special commendation at the awards to Spanish Businesses with the Best Financial Information on the Internet, presented by AECA (Spanish Business Administration and Accounting Association) (2008).
- AEDME award for Business sponsorship and patronage in the educational category for the road safety scheme in schools (2007).
- The “Company of the Year” award, part of the “Leaders of Catalonia” awards, organised by the magazine Dirigentes (2007).
- Alfa Romeo-IESE Award for flexible and responsible business conduct (2007).
- Best of European Business Award, granted by consultants Roland Berger, in the Crossborder M&A category (2006).
- The Pyrenees Award from the French Chamber of Commerce for abertis' contribution to the development of relations between Spain and France (2006).
- The Catalan prize for best business initiative of the year, awarded by El Periódico de Catalunya and TV3 (2006).
- The “Llotja” Award for the best information provided by companies to shareholders and the market, granted by the Barcelona Chamber of Commerce (2005).
- Award for Excellence in Business Strategy, Dirigentes magazine (2005).
- Award for the Best Safe Haven on the Stock Market, from financial newspaper La Gaceta de los Negocios (2005).
- Social Initiative Award, from the Catalan Family Organisations Group (2005).
- Excellence in Logistics Award, from the Catalan Institute of Logistics (ICIL) (2005).